Planning & Community Development
It is the mission of the Centre County Planning and Community Development Office to provide the citizens of Centre County with professional planning services by promoting a coordinated and cost effective approach to the orderly growth and development of their communities.
The Centre County Planning and Community Development Office is responsible for carrying out the duties set forth in the Pennsylvania Municipalities Planning Code (PA Act 247 of 1968, as amended by PA Act 170 of 1988). The Planning and Community Development Office staff works directly for the Centre County Commissioners and is responsible for:
- Preparing and updating the Centre County Comprehensive Plan, which includes information about population, housing, economy, land use, transportation, utilities, government facilities, recreation and the environment;
- Administering the County’s Subdivision and Land Development Ordinance and review plans originating from municipalities that have their own ordinances;
- Assisting any of the County’s 35 municipalities with preparing, modifying or reviewing comprehensive plans, capital improvements, zoning and subdivision ordinances, the National Flood Insurance Program and other codes, ordinances or services;
- Assisting the County’s economic development organizations and providing services to municipalities;
- Representing the County on various committees, boards, and organizations either by County Commissioner appointment or by virtue of being a County Planning Agency;
- Offering a variety of technical assistance to various public agencies. Centre County Planning and Community Development is an Affiliate State Data Center and can provide data on a wide variety of subjects.