Vision Statement – The Centre County HOPE Initiative works to eliminate substance abuse, drug overdoses, and drug overdose deaths in Centre County
Mission Statement – The Centre County HOPE Initiative is comprised of various community agencies and concerned citizens working collaboratively to eliminate substance abuse, including the unsettling rise in opiate drug use and overdoses. The Coalition and its members will achieve this goal through dedicated outreach, effective education, raising awareness, and supporting the availability of recovery support and treatment options to all members of our community.
Background - In May 2016, a Memorandum of Understanding was executed, formally creating the Centre County Heroin and Opioid Prevention and Education (HOPE) Initiative. Members of the HOPE Initiative include those from the prevention, treatment, and recovery community; agencies involved in the Criminal Justice System; and members of the community affected by addiction.
- To reach out to the community to provide awareness of the substance abuse epidemic associated with both heroin and the misuse of prescription drugs, to reduce the stigma associated with substance abuse, and to make people aware that ANYONE CAN BECOME ADDICTED.
- Educate all community members, beginning with school age youth, about addiction and the danger of drug overdoses through the use of effective evidence-based programs.
- Prevent overdoses and overdose deaths through education; drug interdiction efforts; accessibility to drug collection boxes; and the availability of naloxone and medication assisted therapies.
- Offer support and assistance to those affected by the chronic disease of addiction (individuals, family members, friends and neighbors).
- Provide treatment and recovery support options to individuals affected by addiction and assist them in accessing services and resources.
The Centre County HOPE Initiative continues outreach efforts to educate the community about the disease of addiction and remove the stigma associated with it. HOPE attends several community events each year where members set up a table with resource materials and answer related questions. Below is a list of the some of the events The HOPE Initiative regularly attends.
- Drug Take Back Events
- Out of the Darkness Walk
- Super Fair
- Adult Health and Lifestyle Expo
- Town Hall Meetings
- Annual BAD Motorcycle Ride
- Blessing of the Backpacks
- Centre County Grange Fair
- Lion Bash
- National Recovery Month/Overdose Awareness Day
- Candlelight Remembrance Ceremony