The FCC's Emergency Broadband Benefit Program opens Wed, May 12, 2021, for eligible households to receive monthly discounted internet services and a one-time discount with purchasing a laptop, desktop computer, or tablet through participating providers.
Emergency Broadband Benefit Program opens May 12, 2021
The Federal Communications Commission's Emergency Broadband Benefit Program opens Wednesday May 12, 2021, for eligible households to receive monthly discounted internet services and a one-time discount with purchasing a laptop, desktop computer, or tablet through participating providers.
Households are encouraged to apply early as program funds will be available until exhausted or six (6) months after the COVID-19 pandemic is declared over, whichever comes first.
About the Emergency Broadband Benefit
The Emergency Broadband Benefit will provide a discount of up to $50 per month towards broadband service for eligible households and up to $75 per month for households on qualifying Tribal lands. Eligible households can also receive a one-time discount of up to $100 to purchase a laptop, desktop computer, or tablet from participating providers if they contribute more than $10 and less than $50 toward the purchase price.
The Emergency Broadband Benefit is limited to one monthly service discount and one device discount per household.
A household is eligible if a member of the household meets one of the criteria below:
- Has an income that is at or below 135% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines or participates in certain assistance programs, such as SNAP, Medicaid, or Lifeline;
- Approved to receive benefits under the free and reduced-price school lunch program or the school breakfast program, including through the USDA Community Eligibility Provision in the 2019-2020 or 2020-2021 school year;
- Received a Federal Pell Grant during the current award year;
- Experienced a substantial loss of income due to job loss or furlough since February 29, 2020 and the household had a total income in 2020 at or below $99,000 for single filers and $198,000 for joint filers; or
- Meets the eligibility criteria for a participating provider's existing low-income or COVID-19 program.
How do households apply?
Beginning on May 12, 2021, households can apply in three ways:
- Contact your preferred participating broadband provider directly to learn about their application process.
- Go to GetEmergencyBroadband.org to apply online and to find participating providers near you.
- Call 833-511-0311 for a mail-in application, and return it along with proof of eligibility to:
Emergency Broadband Support Center
P.O. Box 7081
London, KY 40742